Single sign-on is a technique that helps users to login to multiple websites by using a single username and password. The user can sign-in to many websites of the same organization by having only single set of ID credentials. Like in the case of Google, if the user is logged-in to any of its product then he doesn’t need to login again on any of the rest Google products. That means if the user is already working Gmail, there is no further need to authenticate on Youtube, Google+, and any other Google product.
Thus, we can say that single sign-on or SSO can save users time by providing seamless authentication to multiple websites.
But every coin has two faces. The same is applied in the case of single sign-on. There are lots of benefits with some disadvantages of single sign-on. First have a look on some of its benefits:
- It reduces the chances of forgetting passwords by removing the need of creating new username and password each time while registering to a new website of the same organization.
- In today’s world, one of the biggest problem faced by IT administrators is managing user’s credentials and they are continuously getting calls regarding password reset. SSO helps them and reduces support help desk cost.
- The advanced version of SSO detects a number of spam attempts made to login a website and it would lock out the remaining systems from the hacker.
- As stated earlier by reducing the number of usernames and passwords it reduces the fear of password fatigue.
- SSO technology is highly secured with SAML technique and it is not easy for hackers to hack the user’s data and all related services.
\Now, let’s see the negative side of the great technology:
- One of the biggest disadvantage associated with SSO is that it is a very critical authentication tool, therefore it needs to keep up always. If it goes down, the user can not be able to access other related websites as well.
- A strong combination of username and password is must for a single sign-on solution because the chances of getting hacked is more in the case of easy to remember password.
Thus, we can say that SSO system has both positive and negative impacts. But from my point of view focusing more on protecting SSO has more worth than spending time on remembering passwords and website authentication.